Tuesday 27 November 2012

Paper Mache has it's place



This may seem as a bit of an odd thing to blog about, but whilst you all patiently wait for the next update on the Scarecrow mask, I thought it would be a good idea to talk about some of the techniques and materials I use.

First up would be Paper mache - The most basics of basics (but one of the best).

People often turn their nose up at my work when they realise that the structure of the object has been made from paper mache. Yes there are more 'professional' ways of doing things, but when your on a budget and the surface is to be covered anyway, I think it's a no brainer. It's what we all learnt to do when we were young and I think its something that is often overlooked because of this.

Bear in mind that it's not good for everything and I am not preaching that it should be. What I am saying is that it has it's place when used correctly. Lets take my Scarecrow mask for example. A lot of people I have seen who have made a Scarecrow mask have made it purely out of fabric with no rigid structure behind it. This then gives it a droopy, saggy look - Still looks great as a 'inspired by' piece but it's not enough to make it a 'replica' of the in game character.

The Scarecrow character from the video game has some very definitive features and you can only get this by building some form of structure behind the fabric. Fiberglass was too heavy and long winded so paper mache and cardboard fitted the bill.

When you use paper mache, you'll probably notice that once dried it has a rough and uneven surface which is not a good finish. This is obviously not ideal. However, if you are covering that surface with something like fabric as a finish, it works perfectly. Which is exactly what I have done with my mask. It makes the form stiff and rigid so its hard wearing but I still get an excellent final look as its covered in fabric.

So to sum up - Paper mache has it's place. But (in my own, unique, personal and amazing opinion) it shouldn't be used as a final finish, e.g. painting it black and woohoo its done! kind of thing. It should be used a base structure.

Waffle over :)

Jack.


(Image from Stormthecastle.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment